These rules are formulated to guide operations of the XPLORER PRIZE, ensuring objectivity and fairness in the award assessment process in scientific and standardized ways.
Chapter 1: General Provisions
- Article 1: About
- The XPLORER PRIZE is a non-governmental and public interest award initiated by Ma Huateng, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Tencent and founder of the Tencent Foundation, and Professor Rao Yi of Peking University in cooperation with well-known scientists such as Chen Ning Yang, Mao Shude, He Huawu, Wu Hequan, Li Peigen, Chen Shiyi, Zhang Yitang, Shi Yigong, Gao Wen, Xie Kechang, Cheng Taining, Xie Xiaoliang and Pan Jianwei. The award is designed to be run by a selective group of scientists and scholoars.
- Article 2: Mission Statement
- The XPLORER PRIZE focuses on fundamental science and frontier technologies and directly sponsors young scientists and technicians who are in the exploration phase, with a priority placed on rewarding future-orientated initiatives.
- Article 3: Principles
- Adhere to the principles of impartiality, fairness and openness, as well as professional assessment by scientists.
- Adhere to the independence in application assessment and prevent any organization or individual from influencing the assessment by going beyond these rules.
- Adhere to the nature of public interest, do not seek commercial returns or short-term benefits, and aim atlong-term operations.
Chapter II: Awards
- Article 4: Name
- In Chinese: 365bet官网怎么买_注册网站域名365bet官网_365bet官网日博娱
- In English: XPLORER PRIZE
- Article 5: Applicants
- Young scientists and technicians aged 45 and below who are working full-time in the Chinese mainland.
- Article 6: Fields
- Fundamental science: Mathematics, Physics, Life Science, Astronomy and Geoscience, Chemistry and New Materials.
- Frontier technologies: Information Technology and Electronics, Energy and Environmental Protection, Advanced Manufacturing, Transportation and Construction Technology, and Cross-Disciplinary Technology.
- Article 7: Number of Recipients
- No more than 50 award winners each year.
- Article 8: Reward
- 3 million yuan per person with five-year disbursement of 600,000 yuan per year.
Chapter III: Management
- Article 9: Structure
- Includes a Management Committee and an Advisory Committee. The Management Committee consists of an Assessment Committee, an Oversight Committee and a Secretariat.
- Article 10: Management Committee
- The Management Committee is the highest decision-making body for the award. Its duties are as follows: To clarify the award’s objectives, principles, purposes and tasks; to determine the composition of the Assessment Committee and Oversight Committee; to approve assessment rules and methods; and to review and approve the final assessment results.
- Article 11: Advisory Committee
- The Advisory Committee is composed of well-known Chinese and international scientists, and retired policy makers in the fields of science and technology. Its duties are as follows: to provide guidance; to offer suggestions; and to promote the influence of the award.
- Article 12: Assessment Committee
- Assessment Teams are set up for respective award fields. Their duties are as follows: to design rules and standards for the assessment and selection of candidates; to implement the assessment process in various fields; and to select award-winning candidates and submit them to the Management Committee for approval.
- Article 13: Oversight Committee
- Composed of specialists in law, finance, auditing and public policy, its duties are as follows: to provide professional advice; to oversee the assessment and selection process; and to ensure the award’s credibility.
- Article 14: Secretariat
- The secretariat is set up by Tencent Foundation,andis responsible for day-to-day operations. Its duties are as follows: daily administrative service, support, implementation and progress management for the award; organization and coordination among various committees; announcement, awarding and public communication of awards; organization of academic exchange activities for young scientists and technicians; and raising awareness of science among teenagers.
Chapter IV: Assessment
- Article 15: Candidates
- Candidates are selected through nomination and application. Candidate requirements are specified separately in another document.
- Article 16: Nomination
- Each nominator may nominate one candidate in their field each year.
- Article 17: Registration
- During the application period, the applicant may log in to the official award website to register.
- Article 18: Process
- Consists of three stages: first assessment, review and final assessment.
- Article 19: Announcement
- Every September, winners’ names, the organizations where they are employed, their fields and reasons for winning the award will be announced on the official website.
Chapter V: Supplementary Provisions
- Article 20: Duties of Award Winners
- Adhere to academic ethics, uphold the scientific spirit and abide by scientific research integrity.
- As an ambassador in the popularization of science, an award winner shall regularly attend activities for the public interest and science awareness.
- During the funding period, award winners shall submit an annual scientific research progress report to the Assessment Committee as required.
- Article 21: Withdrawal
- If a winner violates the provisions of these management rules, the Management Committee can decide to terminate the grant.
- Article 22: Disclosures and Recusal
- Reviewers must take the initiative to disclose at the earliest time any potential conflict of interest, including but not limited to teacher-student relationships, relatives and friends, project cooperation (for projects that have ended within the last five years), commercial partnerships and competition.
- The Management Committee will decide on the qualifications of the reviewer.
- Article 23: Confidentiality
- All staff involved in the award is subject to confidentiality obligations in relation to the award.
- Article 24: Amendment and Interpretation
- The rules are revised by the Secretariat and approved by the Management Committee. The final right of interpretation belongs to the Secretariat.
- Article 25: Enforcement
- These rules come into force and shall be implemented on the date of issue.
Secretariat of the XPLORER PRIZE